15 Amazing Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Alan Stacey, a Formula One driver was killed when a bird flew into his face in 1960.
- The US Navy still operates wooden ships.
- Harare, Zimbabwe, is one of the most expensive cities due to its citizens switching to US Dollars as currency. They are so used to Zimbabwe money with very high values, that being charged $20 for a haircut seems a good deal as people do not have an outsider concept of the real value of the dollar.
- The Soviet Union did not admit that a reactor had exploded at Chernobyl until nearly 3 days after radiation from the disaster set off alarms at a nuclear plant in Sweden 1000 km away.
- Ice was exported from US all the way to India in 1893.
- Astronomer Percival Lowell believed that he was the first person to observe canals on Venus, but because of a faulty adjustment of the eyepiece of his telescope, he was in fact looking at the blood vessels in his own eye.
- In Pacific Grove , California there is a law on the books establishing a $500 fine for molesting butterflies.
- A man “blinked a book”. Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffered from the Locked-in syndrome, could control only his left eyelid. Bauby composed and edited the book entirely in his head and slowly dictated it one letter at a time by blinking his eye and, by doing so, was able to write his memoirs (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly). His interlocutor, Claude Mendibil, listed the letters in accordance with their frequency in the French language to make it easier. The book was published in France on 7 March 1997. Bauby died suddenly from pneumonia ten days after the publication of his book.
- There was an ape as early as 100,000 years ago that was as tall as 9.8ft (3 meters) tall in the India.
- Today, more people worldwide suffer from obesity (1.3 billion) than hunger (900 million).
- The galaxy M100 is so far away that if beings from there were to look at Earth right now, they would be watching the real-time extinction of the dinosaurs.
- The first ever cloned sheep was named after Dolly Parton because “Dolly is derived from a mammary gland cell, and We couldn’t think of a more impressive pair of glands than Dolly Parton’s.”
- The name ‘Aspirin’ was originally a trademark belonging to a German pharmaceutical company ‘Bayer’, but after Germany’s loss in WWI the company was forced to hand over the trademark as a part of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919.
- Gayalal a member of the Legislative Assembly from Haryana India in 1967 changed party thrice in a fortnight.
- In 2006, a naked man in California was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team