28 Facts about Argentina | Amazing Facts 4U
Land & Geography
- Fact is the name Argentina comes from the Latin word for sliver ‘argentum’. Settlers believed that the country was filled with silver, but unfortunately it wasn’t.
- By land area Argentina is the 2nd largest country in South America and the 8th largest country in the world.
- Argentina has an area of 2,780,400 square kilometers.
- Argentina has a population of over 45 million people most centralized in major cities like BuenosAires. The rest are scattered around the high wine country.
- Spanish is the official language of Argentina. The capital city of Argentina is BuenosAires.
- The currency of Argentina is called the Peso.
- Amazing fact is both the hottest and coldest temperatures ever recorded in South America occurred in Argentina!
- The crocodiles are a major problem for farmers and rural communities with over 100 reported deaths by crocodiles each year.
- In the last decade, Argentina has been home to multiple discoveries of gigantic dinosaurs.
- Argentina became a Spanish colony in the late 1700 s. It regained its independence after a brief struggle with Spain in 1815.
- Fact is Argentina was one of the first countries in the world to have radio broadcasting which was made in August 1920. At that time only 20 people had a receiver!
- Argentina was in fact the first country to use successfully fingerprinting as a method of identification in 1892.
- Argentina has the highest point in the Southern Hemisphere , Mount Aconcagua 6,962 m (22,841 Ft) which lies in Argentina’s Province of Mendoza.
- Amazingly Argentina also has the lowest point in the Southern Hemisphere, the lowest point being Laguna del Carbon (-105 meters) in the Province of Santa Cruz.
People Customs & Culture
- Argentina has the highest literacy rate in South America.
- Public transportation is used more by the people of Argentina than automobiles.
- Amazing fact is adults and children both travel home after lunch each day to take a siesta. Siestas are short naps that people all around the country enjoy. During siestas many businesses and schools close down, and everyone in the country relaxes.
- Ballroom dancing is a great activity that many people participate in on a daily basis. Many ballroom dances originated in the country including the tango.
- Amazingly at least 1 in 30 Argentines undergo cosmetic surgery and has the highest rate of plastic surgery in the world. It is a hub for cosmetic surgery tourism due to low cost.
- Argentina is in fact the nation with the most Psychologists per capita in the world about 150 per 100000 residents.
- Argentina has a unusual tradition. The president is considered the god parent of any child that is born 7th to a family .It started in the early 1900 s.
- Amazingly Argentina has gone through 5 types of governments since its independence. It is currently a constitutional republic similar to the United States.
- Canada became the first country in the Americas to legalize same sex marriage in 1999 and Argentina followed suit nearly a decade later.
- The Argentina navy is the largest sea force in South America. It is constantly on patrol in the Pacific coast patrolling and policing the waters for pirates.
- Argentina beef is the most requested around the world for its flavor and natural properties.
- Argentina is considered a large producer of wine. “Wine tourism” is one of the main drawing attractions to Argentina.
- Amazingly the very first animated cartoon film in the world was created by an Argentinean man Quirino Cristiani who created the film “El Apostol” in 1917. It was 70 minutes long and had over 58,000 frames. In fact he was an inspiration to Walt Disney, who during his trip to Argentina visited Quirino’s studio in Buenos Aires.
- The most popular sport in Argentina is football (soccer), the Argentine national team has won the football World Cup twice in 1978 and 1986.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team