15 Delightful Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Amazing fact is Michael Birch, the founder of Bebo (social networking site), sold Bebo to AOL for $850 million in 2008 only to later buy it back for only $1 million in 2013.
- Amazingly in 2011, the city of Portland, Oregon discarded 7.8 million gallons of drinking water in a reservoir, not because of any dead animals but because a drunk 21-year-old peed in it.
- The bolt that holds the rotor onto the body of a Huey Helicopter is in fact called the Jesus nut because if it fails the helicopter would detach from the rotors and the only thing left for the crew to do would be to pray to Jesus as they fall from the sky.
- Igloos can retain a temperature of 60° F on the inside during -50° weather. Ice is a bad conductor of heat. Any heat generated from inside the igloo, usually from body heat or a small fire, stays inside. Even a fire inside an ice structure won’t melt the igloo as the warmth inside the igloo does melt the inner layer of snow and ice, but the air outside often much colder than the air inside freezes it back. The result is an additional sheet of ice on the interior walls, which adds to the insulation.
- Amazing fact is author Ernest Vincent Wright wrote Gadsby, a 50,000 word novel without using the letter “e”. To this day it is considered one of the finest examples of constrained writing.
- Leonardo da Vinci deliberately left errors in the designs of his inventions, in order to prevent it from being put to practice by unauthorized people.
- Murderers in medieval Ireland were given to the deceased’s family as slaves, if they fail to pay a hefty fine to buy their freedom. The family could then legally kill the murderer themselves.
- T-shirt was invented in 1904 and it was primarily marketed towards bachelors as “bachelor undershirt.” It stretchy enough to be pulled over the head. “No safety pins , no buttons , no needle , no thread.”
- There is a lake in the country of Palau (Pacific Islands) where jellyfishes have evolved without stingers. This happened after the lake’s connection to the sea closed, leaving them isolated from their natural predators. These ‘Golden’ jellyfish are totally harmless to humans and you can swim with them.
- Amazingly dolphins can see our skeletons and sense our heartbeats via their sonar. They have in fact even been known to ward off sharks preying on humans.
- 5000 years ago the Chinese created nail polish and used it to symbolize wealth and power among the elite. It was forbidden among the general population who were sentenced to die for wearing it.
- Most German schools in fact do not have uniforms.
- Shin Dong-hyuk is the only man in recorded history to have escaped a North Korean concentration camp in the “total control zone” and lived to tell of it. He works tirelessly to alert the world about the vicious human rights abuses in North Korea.
- American speech is punctuated with “uh” & “um”, English speech with “er” & “erm”. Every language uses different sounds to interrupt themselves, while their brain is working on forming thoughts into words.
- Amazing fact is there are languages without the terms “Left, Right, Front, and Behind.” These cultures use “North, South, East, and West” their whole lives, no matter if they are in their home or in the woods. The result is a compass brain. They always know how they are oriented.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team