15 Delightful Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Amazing fact is that the German Empire in its 47 years of existence won more Nobel Prizes in science than Britain, France, Russia and the USA combined.
- On July 1, 1916, at the Battle of the Somme, a charge of 60,000 lbs. of explosives was detonated creating a crater that was amazing 300 feet across and 90 feet deep. The explosion in France was heard as far away as London and was the loudest man made sound in history at the time.
- Amazingly 10 Syrian Pound coins are so similar to Norway’s 20 krone coins in weight that vending machines could not tell the difference. Many of their coin-to-cash machines had to be closed because of this as 20 krone is worth about 45 times more than 10 Syrian Pound.
- Amazing thing is a man in China has kept himself alive with a homemade dialysis machine for 13 years. He made one as he couldn’t afford it.
- There are 38 million Americans who have never used the internet because many of them are simply not interested or find it difficult to use.
- Amazing fact is that in Mizoram and Manipur in India , every fifty years, armies of bamboo rats descend upon rural areas and devour everything in their path. This is very closely related to the fruiting cycle of bamboo trees. This often leads to famine. The most recent spate of flowering of the bamboo species began in May 2006, and the state government and the Indian Army attempted to prevent a famine.
- In 1964, two students attempted to kidnap the British Prime Minister. The plot was foiled when he offered them beer. They accepted and abandoned their plot. This breach of security was only revealed in 2009.
- The world’s biggest manuscript by a single person has been written by Swamy Ranganathacharya on amazing 3,80,000 pages over a period of thirty five years and has been made available online by Andhra Pradesh Government Oriental Manuscripts Library and Research Institute in India.
- Amazing fact is an English POW of WWI was granted permission to visit his dying mother and voluntarily returned a week later to his German prison camp.
- In the early nineteenth century, the United States had a hundred and forty-four separate time zones.
- Vava Suresh, a snake wrangler from Kerala has caught 30,000 snakes including 300 king cobras, has survived over 250 snake bites and has had to be put on the ventilator at least five times. He declined a government job because , he would not be able to help people in need.
- Amazingly 800 different languages are spoken in New York City, making it the most linguistically diverse city on Earth.
- At one time, the world’s tallest man, Bao XiShun and the world’s smallest man, He PingPing, both came from China and actually met.
- Benjamin Harrison, the 23rd president of the US, was the first president to have electricity in the White House but amazingly he never touched any light switches because he was too scared of getting electrocuted.
- It’s amazing that icelanders can easily read old Norse, a dead language that was spoken in Scandinavia over 1000 years ago because written Icelandic has changed so little.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team