15 Exhilarating Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Beginning in 1845, potato blight destroyed a significant proportion of Ireland potato crop, ultimately leading to the deaths of more than 1 million individuals and the emigration of another 1-million plus. Amazing fact is that the population of Ireland still hasn’t returned to where it was before the Potato Famine.
- It is safe to eat the stickers that are on fruit in US and the glue used to put them on is actually food grade.
- Amazing fact is that Harvard earns enough money on interest from its endowment that it could offer free tuition to all students and still make profit on the interest.
- The Khasi people of Meghalaya are a matrilineal society, i.e., the youngest daughter inherits, children take their mother’s surname, and once married, men live in their mother-in-law’s home.
- France lost so many workers during its failed attempt to dig the Panama Canal, that for a time their project’s main source of income was selling the corpses to medical schools all over the world as cadavers. Ultimately they sold the project to US.
- Thanks to Tsunami, existence of 6 temples dated 7th century AD in Mahabalipuram , India were discovered in 2005.
- In 5 years from 1981 to 1986 , Jahangir Khan squash player from Pakistan played 555 consecutive squash matches, maintaining an amazing unbeaten run. During this winning streak, he won the International Squash Players Association Championship, without losing a single point. He won the squash World Open five times during that stretch. He won the British Open 10 consecutive times between 1982 and 1991. His father, Roshan Khan had also won the British Open in 1957 as well as winning the US Open three times and the Canadian Open twice.
- 12% of Québec is freshwater, which is 3% of all of the world’s freshwater. Québec holds only 0.1% of the world’s population.
- Shakira was banned from her school choir because her music teacher didn’t think she could sing and ‘sounded like a goat.’
- Tarahumara group of Native Americans in Mexico are capable of running amazing 200 miles in one session and hunt by running their prey to death.
- A village in southern Rajasthan’s Rajsamand district has been planting 111 trees for every girl child born for the last few years. To date, they have planted 250,000 trees and also have a mini industry manufacturing products made from this “forest.”
- There is a ‘Nocebo Effect’, a negative variant of the ‘Placebo Effect’. It can make someone physically suffer from side effects that don’t exist.
- Amazingly bicycles have no speed limits in the UK, but you can get charged with ‘cycling furiously’.
- Texas abolished the last meal for death row inmates after a prisoner ordered a ten course meal including 2 chicken fried steaks, a triple cheeseburger and a pound of barbeque meat and then turned it down saying he wasn’t hungry.
- There’s a castle being built in France using only the techniques and materials used in the middle ages. When completed in the 2020’s, it should be an authentic recreation of a 13th-century medieval castle.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team