15 Exotic Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- The two oldest cats on record Creme Puff (1967-2005) and Granpa (1964-1998) lived to 38 and 34 years respectively.Both were in fact owned by the same owner Jake Perry, in Austin, Texas and lived off a diet of bacon, eggs, broccoli and coffee. Usually lifespan of cat is up to 15 years.
- Human beings are the only primates whose numbers are not in decline.
- When the Latvian hockey team plays at home and wins a game, fans pay a visit to the embassy of the opposing team’s home country and lay flowers at its gate.
- A lawyer in Toronto fell to his death in 1993 after he threw himself against a window on the 24th floor of a building in an attempt to prove to a group of visitors that the glass was “unbreakable”, an act he had done twice before. The glass did not break, but he popped out of the window frame and died.
- Amazing Fact is that around 762 A.D., the demand for books in Baghdad was so high that any traders who brought books were given the weight of the books in gold in return.
- The US Government took the land on which Mt Rushmore was built from the Sioux nation (Native Americans) and developed Mt. Rushmore on sacred Sioux grounds without any compensation. The US Government has offered over $1 Billion in compensation, but the Sioux refuse to take it, saying the land was never for sale.
- The film ‘Top Gun’ was made in collaboration with the Pentagon and enlistment spiked when it was released. The Navy set up recruitment tables at theaters playing the movie, and polls soon showed rising recruitments.
- It isn’t “base jumping”, but rather B.A.S.E. jumping. It refers to the four categories of fixed objects from which one can jump: building, antenna, span, and Earth (cliff).
- Amazing Fact is that there is a large stinging shrub native to Australia called the Gympie Gympie that produces a neurotoxin so painful, it has driven people and animals to suicide. The pain has been described as being sprayed with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time. A man was reported to have shot himself after using the tree as toilet paper.
- In 1929, a “Bat Towеr” was built in Florida Kеys to control mosquitos. It was filled with bats, which promptly flew away, never to return.
- Several million people in the United States sent over 100,000 petitions urging Congress to adopt the metric system way back in 1927. Still in USA metric system has been adopted only in parts.
- In 1957, V. K. Krishna Menon , foreign minister of India gave an 8 hour long speech in U.N. Security Council on Kashmir which ended with him collapsing on the floor and it is still the longest speech in United Nations history.
- The full moon always rises at sunset. The new moon always rises at sunrise.
- After hitting his head in the shallow end of a swimming pool, a man named Derek Amato from Colorado amazingly woke up with pianist skills. He then went on to become a great pianist without ever learning to play.
- Hall of fame boxer, Sugar Ray Robinson once backed out of a fight because he had a dream that he was going to kill his opponent in the ring. After a priest and a minister convinced him to fight, Robinson went into the ring and his opponent, Jimmy Doyle was killed in the fight.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team