15 Fascinating Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Amazing fact is in August 2001, actor James Woods reported 4 suspicious individuals on his flight. Authorities did not act on his claim and they later turned out to be the 9/11 hijackers.
- A forbidden love in China between a young man and older widowed woman forced the couple to live in a mountain cave. Amazingly over the course of 50 years, the man carved a 6,000 stairs into the mountainside so that his wife could easily descend from the cave.
- There are groups of men who commute by train attending job in and out of Mumbai up to three hours each way, who play devotional music to pass the time. Amazingly some of these music groups have been together for 25 years.
- Amazingly P.V. Narasimha Rao who served as the ninth prime minister of India was fluent in many Indian languages and was able to speak in 17 languages, including English, French, Arabic, Spanish, German, Greek, Latin and Persian.
- In 2011, a Chinese man paid US$200,000 for a racing pigeon, setting a new world record. Pigeon racing with a long history in Europe is also one of the most popular betting sports in China.
- Ma Yu Ching’s Bucket Chicken House in Kaifeng, China is considered the world’s oldest operating restaurant, first opening in 1153 AD during the Jing Dynasty.
- Amazing fact is the New Lucky restaurant in Ahmedabad , India is built upon a cemetery. It is peculiar that there are graves scattered between the tables.
- Amazing thing was Gardens of Versailles with its 2000+ fountains consumed more water per day than the entire city of Paris. To solve the water shortage, the fountaineers would signal each other upon the king’s approach to turn on the fountain. Once the king passed the fountain, it would be turned off again.
- John Knoll, the visual effects supervisor of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, won an Oscar for Pirates of the Caribbean movie and also invented Photoshop.
- Amazing fact is on Good Friday in 1930, BBC reported that there was no news to be reported, so instead they played piano music.
- Adwaita a tortoise in Kolkata was estimated to be 255 years old when he died in 2006.
- In 1984, a woman named Jennifer Thompson-Cannino mistakenly identified Ronald Cotton as her rapist. Cotton spent 11 years in prison until DNA evidence proved him innocent. Amazingly upon his release, the two became good friends and currently travel the country speaking of the dangers of false identification.
- Chaudhary Prem Singh from Ambedkar Nagar, Delhi has never lost an election since 1958 and is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the longest continuously elected representative.
- In 1922 when scientist Niels Bohr won the Nobel Prize, he was given a house by Carlsberg Brewery next to the brewery and it had a direct pipeline to the brewery so that Bohr had free beer on tap whenever he wanted.
- Despite fighting against Nazi troops, with 17,000 dying in combat, Colonial French (Black) troops were not allowed to liberate Paris because of their skin color. To ensure that a French regiment was allowed to liberate Paris, De Gaulle was forced to use Spanish (white) soldiers.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team