40 Amazing and Unknown Facts about Israel | Amazing Facts 4U
Land & Geography
- Amazing fact is that Israel is only 1/6 of 1% of the land mass of the Middle East.
- Amazingly Israel is the 100th smallest country and has 1/1000th of the World’s population (About 8 million).
- The Dead Sea is the lowest surface point on earth, at about 1,373 feet below sea level. Amazingly it is also 8.5 times saltier than sea.
- Following the defeat of the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) in World War I, the British assumed control of Palestine in 1917 & announced its intention to facilitate the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people. The Arabs were opposed. British handed the issue over to the United Nations. In November 1947, the UN recommended the partition of Palestine into two states one Jewish and one Arab. The British handed over power to Israeli’s in May 1948.
Places / Architecture
- The Sea of Galilee, at 695 ft. Below sea level, is the lowest freshwater lake in the world.
People Customs & Culture
- Israel is the only Jewish state whose indigenous people returned back to native land 2000 years after forced exile. Fact is that Jew from any country of the world is guaranteed citizenship.
- Amazing fact is that Hebrew is the only case of a dead national language being revived in all of world history. Hebrew had not been spoken as a native tongue by anyone for centuries. Today it is the native tongue of millions of people.
- Israelis, per capita, are the world’s biggest consumers of fruits and vegetables.
- Over 90% of the homes use solar energy for hot water , highest in the world.
- Israel is the only country that entered the 21st century with net gain in number of trees in an area mainly desert.
- Amazingly Israel recycles 75% of it’s water , a world record.
- Amazing fact is that the Jews have only 0.2% of world population, but they have 54% of Chess champions, 27% of Nobel Laureates in physics, 31% of Nobel Laureates in medicine.
- Israel leads the patents in medical equipments.
- Amazing fact is that Israel produces more scientific papers , highest number of scientists and technicians , the highest number of PhD’s and the highest number of physicians per capita than any other nation in the world by a large margin.
- More Israeli patents are registered by Israeli’s than Russia, India & China combined (2.5 billion People) in the Unites States.
- Israel is the only liberal democracy in the middle east.
- Israel spends more money per capita on its own protection than any country in the world.
- Israel has the fourth largest air force in the world (after the U.S., Russia and China).
- With an aerial arsenal of over 250 F-16s, Israel has amazingly the largest fleet of the aircraft outside of the US.
- When the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya was bombed in 1998, Israeli rescue teams were on the scene within a day and saved three victims from the rubble.
- Israel is the only country in the world having compulsory military service for women.
- Amazing fact is that Israeli bank notes have brail on them so the blind can identify them.
Economy & Corporates
- Israel is ranked #2 in the world for venture capital funds right behind the US.
- Israel has the highest number of home computers per capita in the world.
- Israel has the largest number of NASDAQ listed companies outside of the US and Canada.
- Israel has the largest number of startup companies than any other country in the World, except the US (3,500 companies mostly in hi-tech).
- Amazingly Israel is the world’s largest wholesale diamond center, finally surpassing Antwerp in the 1970′s. Most of the cut & polished diamonds in the world come from Israel.
- Israel’s $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.
- Israel’s dairy cows are the most productive dairy cows in the world.
- Israel operates world’s largest desalinization plant.
- Israel’s Givun imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill.
- Israeli companies invented drip irrigation system.
- Amazing fact is that the cell phone was developed in Israel at Motorola’s largest development center.
- The first anti-virus software for computers was developed in Israel in 1979.
- Fact is that most of the Windows NT and XP operating systems were developed in Israel by Microsoft.
- Amazingly both the Pentium-4 and Centrino processors were entirely designed, developed and produced in Israel.
- The technology for AOL Instant Messenger was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.
- Fact is that USB drives were developed by Israeli’s.
- Israel designed the airline industry’s most impenetrable flight security. U.S. officials now look to Israel for advice.
- Israel publishes more books and reads more books per capita than any other nation in the world.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team