34 Amazing Mexico Facts You may not know | Amazing Facts 4U
Land & Geography
- The official name of Mexico is the United Mexican States.
- Mexico and Luxembourg are the only two countries in the world that are spelled with the letter X.
- Between Mexico and the United States, lies the second largest border in the world. The first is the US Canada border.
- Mexico is home to more than 700 reptile species , more than any country in the world.
- About 1000 people die from scorpion stings every year in Mexico.
- Stone tools have been found in Mexico suggesting the existence of humans there 23000 years ago.
- Hundreds of Dinosaur skeletons have been found in Northern Mexico.
- The National University of Mexico was founded in 1551 by Charles V of Spain and is the oldest university in North America.
- Mexico introduced chocolate, corn, peanuts , vanilla , coconut , tomato and chilies to the world.
- Mexico remained under Spanish control for nearly 300 years until the Mexican people, led by a priest named Father Hidalgo, rose up against the Spanish on September 16, 1810. Hidalgo is widely considered the father of modern Mexico, and Mexican Independence is celebrated on September 15-16.
Places / Architecture
- Mexico is in fact home to over 31 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Mexico’s Chichen Itza pyramid is one of the “Seven manmade Wonders of the World”
- Mexico City has the highest elevation and is oldest city in North America. It is also one of the largest cities in the world ( More than 20 million).
- Mexico City is built on a lake called Texcoco. Amazing thing is that Mexico is sinking at a rate of 6 to 8 inches a year as pumps draw water out for the city’s growing population.
- More than 5-6 million people use the metro every day. The city is so big and the traffic so bad that the super rich have taken to using helicopters to get from one place to another. You often see them landing on the roofs.
- Mexico City is the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere and the largest Spanish-speaking city in the world.
- Mexico City has the most museums in the world, with more than 160, almost all of which are free on Sundays! The city also has over 100 art galleries.
- Mexico City has one of the highest police to resident ratios in the world. There is said to be one police officer for every 100 residents.
- Mexico city has the largest Taxi fleet in the world : 60,000 cars.
People Customs & Culture
- The main language spoken in Mexico is Spanish however Mexico has amazing 60 official languages. Mexican legal documents can now be written in any of the 60 languages!
- There are more Spanish speakers in Mexico than in any other country.
- Amazing fact is that over 600,000 U.S. Americans live in Mexico City; the largest concentration of Americans living outside of the USA. There are 10 million Mexicans living in USA.
- Mexico is second only to Brazil in the population of Catholics.
- In Mexico Christmas day is celebrated on January 6th , the day of the arrival of the three wise men to Bethlehem after seeing a star above the city.
- Modern Mexicans are a unique blend of many ancient civilizations, including the Olmec, Zapotec, Toltec, Maya, Aztec, Inca, African, French, and Spanish.
- Amazingly mexican children take the name of both their parents ( Father’s last & Mother’s maiden) to preserve the heritage.
- Amazing fact is that wisdom teeth fail to appear in nearly 100% of indigenous Mexicans as a genetic trait.
- Swine flu (H1N1 Virus) in fact originated in Mexico.
- Mexico has some of the strictest firearm regulations in the world. Amazing fact is that there is only one gun store in the entire country, located in Mexico City, and it is operated by the military.
Economy & Corporates
- Mexico amazingly receives almost 20 million tourists a year.
- Mexico is the largest producer of salt in the world.
- Born in Mexico to Lebanese parents, 73 year old Carlos Slim Helu has spent most of the last five years as the world’s richest man, worth nearly $70 billion. The majority of his income is tied up in América Móvil, a telecommunications company he founded in 2000.
- Actor Anthony Quinn was the first Mexican to win an Academy Award for his role in the 1952 movies Viva Zapata.
- Spanish brought bullfighting to Mexico which is a national sport. The Plaza Mexico is the largest bullring in the world.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team