15 Interesting Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression. He was scared to carry knives because he was afraid he’d kill himself.
- Bees don’t always die when they sting. Amazingly they die when they sting a human or other animal with similarly thick skin, but can sting other insects just fine.
- In 1971, Saddam Hussein imported 100,000 tons of grain treated with fungicidal mercury. The grains were intended for planting, but the Iraqis, unable to understand the English and Spanish warnings or the “skull and crossbones” image, baked it into bread. Hundreds of Iraqis died as a result.
- In the film ‘Thank You for Smoking’, amazingly none of the characters are ever seen smoking.
- While millions of North Koreans starve, the nation’s rulers have taken up the habit of having McDonald’s hamburgers flown daily from China to Pyongyang on North Korea’s national airline.
- Glucose (sugar) has an opposite “handed” isomer L-glucose, that tastes identical and isn’t metabolized as sugar, also safe for diabetics. Amazingly L-glucose costs 50% more than gold.
- Most trees planted in 24 hours is 611,137, a record currently held by the District Administration of Dungarpur (India) at village Khemaru, in state of Rajasthan , India from 11 to 12 August 2009.
- During the Spanish-American war (1898), a warship was sent by USA to capture Guam. It fired 13 shots at the harbor fort without receiving return fire. Amazingly the Spanish sent an officer out to apologize for not returning the ‘Salute’ as they were out of gunpowder. They hadn’t been informed that they were at war.
- There is an atomic bomb museum in New Mexico, where the first a-bomb was detonated. Amazingly the museum is only open 12 hours each year.
- Downing Street, the residence of the Prime minister of the UK, amazingly has a cat with a government title of Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office. His day-to-day responsibilities include contemplating a solution to the mouse occupancy of the house.
- When Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala was refused of his order of a new Rolls Royce, he took his revenge by converting his old Rolls Royce cars into garbage collection vehicles.
- Obsidian blades are so sharp (3 nm thickness) that, on a cellular level, obsidian knives will cut between cells rather than tear the cells as steel knives would do.
- There is a clock being built inside a mountain in western Texas that is designed to tick for 10,000 years, and play a unique melody that never repeats itself. It has been designed by the inventor and designer Danny Hillis. This Clock in the Mountain is being funded and built on property owned by Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO of Amazon.com.
- When the leading emergency asthma medication Albuterol’s patent expired, the patent holding pharmaceutical companies lobbied to amazingly have their own inhalers banned based on environmental issues, allowing them to file a new patent, and continue to monopolize the market.
- In 1954, archaeologists excavating an 8th-century Viking settlement in Sweden found a Buddha statue from India.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team